Women Enabled International (WEI) is heading to New York for the 16th Session of the Conference of States Parties to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CoSP 16)! We’d love for you to join us, whether in person or in spirit, as we bring critical perspectives, experience, and expertise on the intersection of gender and disability to ensure that the discussions, decisions, and outcomes at CoSP are not just inclusive but also empowering and effective in their impact on individuals and communities worldwide.
CoSP is a significant global event that shines a light on the rights of all persons with disabilities, making it an essential platform to highlight and address the unique challenges faced by women and gender-diverse persons with disabilities. Our presence and participation at CoSP not only advances this critical dialogue but ensures the experiences and leadership of women and gender-diverse people with disabilities are essential to decision-making processes and our solutions are incorporated into global policy-making and advocacy.
We’re thrilled to host and participate in three dynamic events:
Equal Rights and Choices for Women and Young Persons with Disabilities: Innovative Interventions to Ensure Access to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
When: 13th June, 3:45 pm – 5:00 pm
Where: UNFPA Headquarters, Orange Café or via Zoom
What: We’ll delve into the multifaceted issues around ensuring the realization of sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) for persons with disabilities, with a particular focus on women and youth.
Registration is required for this event: bit.ly/CoSP16SideEvent
Strengthening Gender Inclusion in Disability Rights Spaces
When: 14th June, 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Where: United Nations Church Center, Second Floor Conference Room
What: Join our dynamic panel discussion on how to promote gender inclusion in mainstream disability rights spaces, complete with a launch of our resource guide. Remember to bring your face mask, as they will be required for this event!
No registration is required for attendees.
Stronger Together: Gender and Disability Intersectional Movements at the Forefront of Human Rights Advocacy
When: 14th June, 4:45 pm
Where: The United Nations, Conference Room C
What: Explore the growing movement championing the rights of women, girls, and gender-diverse persons with disabilities and discover new tools and tactics to amplify our impact.
Cohost: CRPD Committee
Co-sponsors: Canada, UN Permanent Mission of Panama, OHCHR, UN Women, Generation Equality Action Coalition on Feminist Movements and Leadership, Sightsavers, International Disability Alliance, United Cities and Local Governments, and Women Gaining Ground.
This event is intended for registered CoSP attendees only.
WEI Co-Sponsored Events:
- Ending forced sterilisation of persons with disabilities and promoting sexual and reproductive rights
- When: Tuesday, 13th June, 9:45 to 11:00am EST
- Where: Conference Room C, United Nations Headquarters in New York
- Sponsors: UN ESCWA, Malta and European Disability Forum
- Description: Forced and coerced sterilisation of people with disabilities is a human rights violation that has been and continues to be protected as a matter of law, policy and custom throughout the world. This side-event will provide a state of play on the issue and discuss commitment and future actions to make the end of forced sterilisation of persons with disabilities a reality. Alarming instances drawn from current policy and practice will also be tackled.
- From Beijing to the CRPD and Beyond: How women with disabilities are shining a light on intersectional gender rights
- When: Thursday, 15th June, 1:15 to 2:30pm EST
- Where: Conference Room 11, United Nations Headquarters in New York
- Hosted by: Permanent Mission of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to the United Nations together with the International Disability Alliance
- Co-sponsored by: UN Women, Women Enabled International
- Description: The session will draw from the experiences of women with disabilities from Beijing till today; on the successes and gaps in ensuring participation and leadership of women with disabilities in the human rights, development and humanitarian space. It will look at good practices and outline what more needs to be done to ensure an intersectional approach particularly as the world discusses acceleration of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through the SDGs Summit and prepares for ‘A Pact for the Future’. The session will aim to contribute to the ongoing work of the disability movement’s advocacy to ensure that interventions towards accelerating the SDGs and preparation to implement ‘Our Common Agenda’ does not leave women with disabilities behind.
Other Events Featuring the WEI Team:
Model Maternity Protocol for Women with Disabilities
When: Tuesday, 13th June, 4:45pm – 6:00pm EST
Where: Conference Room C, United Nations Headquarters in New York
Even if you’re not in New York, your support is still crucial. We’ll be sharing regular updates from these events through our social media, ensuring you stay connected to the latest dialogues and advances impacting the intersection of gender and disability rights.